Neck Basic Exercises:
1. Sideways Neck Twist:
Keeping the neck upright, twist it alternately to the left and right slowly till the limit of the movement of the neck. Perform it ten times to each side.
2. Neck Nods: Stand upright and slowly nod your head forward and backwards. Try touching the chin to the chest when nodding forward and looking up towards the ceiling when taking the head backwards. Repeat ten times; forward and backward.
3. Neck Rotations: Standing upright, rotate the neck slowly clockwise and anticlockwise. Repeat the motion ten times in each direction.
Most people tend to hold a lot of physical tension in the neck and shoulders. These gentle movements help to loosen those areas, preparing them for the postures. Gently massage the muscles in the neck and upper back. You can repeat them as often as necessary.
1. Drop the head forward. Let the weight of the head gently stretch the neck and upper back. Count to five. Lift the head.
2. Drop the right ear towards the right shoulder - dont force or strain. As you exhale tell the neck to let go. Count to five. Lift the head.
3. Drop the left ear towards the left shoulder. Keep the shoulders relaxed. Count to five. Lift the head.
4. Drop the head forward. Gently and slowly roll the head over to the right.
5. Then down and over to the left. Repeat twice each side, or more if necessary.