Hair Care For Men
If there is one thing a man cares about when you talk about grooming, that is his hair. Whether it is thinning, flaky, greasy, falling off or badly cut, it can be an instant indictment of a guy's appearance. A thorough yet simple hair care routine is critical in keeping your hair in good condition. A good hair care should compliment your facial structure. Men have different facial structures. Their hair quality too is different from each other. some have coarse hair, while some soft. The different facial structures are oval, round, square, pear-shaped, triangular, oblong and diamond. The shape of men's face is essential because it determines the kind of hair care that is needed and suitable. Before choosing a hairstyle, it is important to keep in mind the kind and quality of hair that you have. Different hair types are oily, dry, thick, thin, straight or curly. It might also be that you have a widow's peak or a cowlick, so you have to choose your hairstyle like wise. While choosing a hairstyle, there are some things that you have to take into consideration. Some hairstyles will not work with oily hair. There are other hairstyles which work for curly hair. It is better to ask your hair stylist for advice as he is the best person to give you guidance. A hair stylist is trained in matching facial structures with hair types. There are many sites which help you with men's haircare. If you come across a hairstyle and a model's face which is similar to yours, you have a good match. This will help you to know if the same hairstyle suits you and you can pick your preference. There are salon's where you can design your hairstyle on the computer by showing different hair styles on you and then you take your pick out of many hair styles. Once you have picked your hair style, now you will want to take care of it. Your hair needs maintenance in order to preserve strength, elasticity and shine.
Steps To Groom Men's Hair:
1. Shampoo: Choose a shampoo that has a nice aromatic smell. The shampoo should be ph balanced so that the hair gets clean and remains healthy. The flavour doesn't matter. Wash every other day, or maybe two times a week. Remember washing your hair too often will make your hair lose its natural oils and leave it dry.
2. Tone: Gently massage your hair as you shampoo. Use the balls of your finger tips in push-ups fashion. This is often neglected and we don't bother doing it but this helps the scalp to release the natural oils from the sebaceous glands. Most of the oil is near the scalp. If there is no conditioner to be followed, gently towel dry the hair by squeezing but do not rub. A moisturizing conditioner after washing works wonders.
3. Condition: Conditioner is a vital hair product if you suffer from dry hair. Moisturize your hair. for oily hair, it is better to use a herbal rinse. Conditioner is good for dandruff too. They can be purchased at any pharmacy or salon.
4. Style: Find a comfortable style that will make you comfortable to deal with and you can maintain and not have to spend hours over grooming. The better you take care of your hair and know hair products, the faster you will get your hair done. Hair cuts look best when they are adjusted to a man's face shape. So pick a hair style according to your hair type. To style the hair, you can apply a small amount of gel, working it on your hair with your fingers. Now brush your hair to the desired style. You can use gel to spike your hair too.
5. Groom: While grooming your hair you need to get the right tools. You need a brush with natural bristles, they are the best to use. Use a wide tooth comb if you have curly hair as that will prevent the comb from getting stuck in between the hair. Pick plastic or metal tines. You can use a hair dryer to style your hair or to dry.
6. Pat Dry: Towel drying is one of the biggest cause of damage to men's hair. When the hair is towel dried, hair gets tangled in the threads of the towel and stretches to a breaking point, causing damage to the cuticle. Then split ends occur. To proper towel dry, shake out the excess water and stroke your hair in the direction it grows, rather than rubbing the hair with a towel. Drying does take longer this way but you will notice that after a few haircuts, your hair will be different. Blow drying damages the hair. It dries the hair, but if you are using a dryer, apply a thermal styling spray or detangler to coat the hair.
7. Cool Off: Nothing feels better than a hot shower. It is good for the body but not for the hair cause it plays havoc on the hair. It strips the scalp of its natural oils and leaves the scalp dry. So it is better to wash hair with normal water.
8. Avoid Chemical Treatment: Repeated perming of colouring hair leaves it damaged, dry and dull. Avoid at-home chemicals products and seek a good stylist for such services. Know how to take care of your hair and choose the best products. Results from a professional will look more natural than the products used at home. If you have dyed or highlighted your hair too often, it gets damaged. If you do colour your hair, use a shampoo made for coloured hair and buy a hair protection cream. If you straighten you hair often, use hair protection cream or spray before straightening so that it wont damage the hair.
9. Stay Healthy: The condition of your hair is an overall reflection of the health of your body. Eat well, drink plenty of water, exercise, sleep well and reduce stress from your life. Doing all this will make your hair healthier. Living a healthy life will also increase the rate of growth of your hair.
10. Trim It: Since the only way to remove damaged hair is to cut off the damaged portion of the hair, trim your hair every 6 weeks, this removes the split ends in the hair. Even if you are growing your hair out, you should make sure to trim it regularly, this way hair grows faster. Make sure to tell your barber or stylist that you want a hair trim only to remove damaged hair.
11. Reduce Frizz: Low moisture and protein in the hair can cause your hair to get frizzy and disheveled. To take care of this problem and to minimize it, use a good moisturizing conditioner. A slick, smooth serum after a wash and conditioner can be applied to give it a smooth and shiny appearance.
12. Avoid Tight Hats: Using a tight hat, or a pony tail or a braid can cause 'traction alopecia', a condition where the hair is wrenched out of the scalp. If it is worn too long, then the damage can be permanent and hair in that portion of the scalp will not grow back. A pony tail or tight hat can also damage the cuticle and break hair.
13. Protect Your Hair: When you expose your hair to the sun, it sucks even the healthiest hair's moisture out and keeps it looking dull. Instead, cover your hair with a scarf or a cap (not too tight).
Men's Hair Care Tips:
- Do not use cheap styling products. Cheap ones will either dry out the hair or grease it up. Find good quality gel, conditioner, mousse or whichever product that is best for your hair type. They may be expensive but they will be good for your hair.
- If you keep your hair short, then you will not need styling products as the natural oils will be sufficient for your hair and short hair styles itself.
- Thoroughly rinse hair before swimming so it doesn't absorb the chlorine, and thoroughly wash the hair to get rid of the chlorine.
- You can usually tell when its time to wash your hair. When it gets oily you know you have to wash it. If you wash it too often, it gets frizzy and if you don't wash it often enough, you get dandruff.
- Do not overuse shine products to control fizzes, they often contain silicone that can coat your hair and cause damage.
- Brush your hair in the shower after you apply conditioner with a wide brush.
- If you have thick hair, it is better to wash your hair everyday.