Hair Massage Tips
As an individual follows a daily routine to clean the body, hair too should be cleaned the same way. The longer the hair, the more care is required. As dust and dirt sticks on hair they require more care when it comes to cleaning and it should be a habit in one's daily routine.The first indication of your good health is the lustrous and glowing hair growing on your head. And, since ancient times, hair and scalp massage is used in various cultures as a treatment for hair loss and to grow healthy hair. Below are the various tips on choosing the right scalp massage oil for a healthy scalp and glowing hair:
Hair Massage Tips:
- To nourish the hair, you can use either sesame oil or almond oil as the base oil. This helps to reduce the stiffness and tightness of the scalp. Sesame oil works very well for scalp trouble is that it penetrates quickly and thoroughly, enters into the blood stream, and heals various problems.
- As coconut oil is good for the growth of the hair, it is suitable for Pitta type of hair. It slows down the greying and thinning of the hair. For ages, warm oil has been used in India for massaging the hair and body. Hair oil is infused with herbs and hibiscus flowers to promote healthy hair.
- Some Ayurvedic oils include hair beneficial herbs boost up the advantages of the scalp massages. These ayurvedic oils are prepared by slowly cooking the herbs with the oil, and then the oil is strained for ready to use purpose.
- Hibiscus oil is good for maintaining hair vitality and colour. It has many cooling properties.
- Ayurvedic oils have some beneficial herbs like Lavender, Rosemary and Jasmine which promotes hair growth, stimulates the hair follicles, slows down premature greying and thinning and conditions the scalp.
- For maximum benefit, you should massage your scalp at least once a day. This is done simply rubbing your fingers all over your head in a uniform fashion, with or without shampoo or other hair products. If done in a proper way, for at least three or four minutes your head should feel like it is tingling, but in a pleasant way. Digging and scratching at your scalp is not the idea, maintaining a firm, even pressure while massaging is all that is needed.
- Popularly used herbs in ayurvedic oils are Bacopa (Brahmi) – good for Vata hair as it promotes hair thickness and helps in calming the nervous system and mind.
- Amala is beneficial for all types of hair and it has a purifying, nourishing and cooling effect on the hair. It is more beneficial for pitta type of hair. It also prevents flakes and dry scalp.
- Margosa (neem) is good for kapha and has cleansing and purifying properties. So massaging weekly is beneficial.
- Try including aromatherapy essential oils during massaging. Aromatherapy massage oils are a healthy choice for your scalp.
- Hair Pulling Massage is a scalp stimulating process and is done by gliding your fingers under the scalp, grabbing hair near to your scalp and pulling them gently. After gentle pulling, pull your hair again by relaxing the grip. Repeat till the entire scalp is covered.
- You can massage your hair with your boar bristle brush and it is done by tapping the head. It helps with the blood circulation.
- Oriental scalp massage starts at the center of the skull base moving outwards towards the ears. Then come back to the center and repeat this process.
- For friction massage, the balls of the fingers are used in rapid movement over the scalp and full head area. The fingers are moved from the front of the scalp to the nape of the neck in circular motions , then again in reverse from nape of the neck to the front.
- In kneading massage, use the balls of the fingers of both the hands and spread them out over the scalp. Press firmly and rotate the skin. Fingers should not be moved over the scalp. Rotate the skin in one area then move to another area of the scalp until the whole area is covered. This should be a slow, firm, kneading movement.
- Try equal parts of witch hazel and mineral water if you have an oily scalp. For a normal scalp, use equal parts rose and mineral waters.Massage it evenly into the scalp and keep for 30 minutes, then wash.
- Massaging the scalp with aloe Vera gel or coconut milk is an effective remedy for treating hair loss.
- You can also use eucalyptus oil for dandruff treatment by soaking a piece of cotton wool into the oil and rubbing it thoroughly into the scalp. After that just wrap a warm towel around the head for 15 to 20 minutes. Shampoo and rinse. Repeat the treatment again after a week.
- Hair gets very dry due to the climatic changes. Using the right variety of hair oils to undo the damage will make hair healthy and give it moisture. So massage well into the scalp.
- Hair can be strengthened and nourished by first oiling the hair by massaging with finger tips, then using a hot towel, tying the towel in the hair like a turban, keep for 10 minutes then wash.