Dry lips are caused by the evaporation of moisture. The lips become dry and cracked. As it is a part of your body, dry lips are very uncomfortable to deal with. Dry lips can be painful. Although chapped lips are most common in winter, they do occur during any time of the year. Unlike other body parts, our lips don't have sweat glands and oil content. So while the rest of the body maintains a itself from drying out, our lips are not so lucky. They need to draw moisture from the surrounding skin but when it doesn't happen that way, the result is dry lips.
Causes Of Dry Lips:
- Cold climate or windy conditions can cause the vital moisture from the lips to evaporate, drying out the lips so much that it can peel and sometimes bleed. Constant licking of the lips too dry out the lips faster.
- Deficiency of Vitamin B, iron and fatty acids can cause dry lips. Applying a lip balm is the best way to keep your lips hydrated and moisturized. Dry and cracked lips can be caused by allergies, drug, infections and maybe a number of medical problems.
- Dehydration can cause the lips to dry too, so drink plenty of water. There are major tissues dehydrators present in alcohol and caffeine. Using old lipstick also dries the lips.
- Lips are also susceptible to powerful sunrays and sunburns, this causes dryness. Biting of the lips are harmful too, which we often do. Also breathing from the mouth instead of your nose causes the lips to dry as the moisture escapes from the mouth.
- If you sleep with your mouth open, it will dry up your mouth easily and you will get up with dehydrated lips.
- Smoking is one of the causes of dry lips. Excessive smoking takes away whatever moisture you have and discolours the lips.
Makeup For Dry Lips