The ancient Egyptians were certainly on to something when their lovely ladies used green malachite and galena for cosmetic purposes. Not only did these minerals make them look beautiful, but also gave them healthy, glowing complexions. The good news is that mineral make-up has been rediscovered and is all the rage once again. As you might have guessed, these cosmetics are made of minerals and other inorganic pigments, such as mica, titanium dioxide, zinc, iron oxides, and ultramarine pigments that yield different colours and effects such as matte, shimmer and sparkling. It gives the appearance of wearing make-up. For instance, mineral foundation is fluffy and powdery to the touch. It smoothens and evens out the skin tone, giving the look of naturally flawless skin instead of appearing like thickly coated make-up. Mineral make-up is safer and better for the skin than conventional, talc-based cosmetics. Mineral make-up is usually a light, non shiny cosmetic. Usually this make-up is used by people who have sensitive skin, and it does not irritate the skin conditions like rosacea, post laser skin or acne. It improves the skin's overall look.
Mineral Magic And Its Benefits:
- Unlike most cosmetics, mineral make-up offers some amazing benefits. For one, it is absolutely natural and inert, and does not support microbial growth. Thus, along with the fact that it contains no oils, fragrances, fillers, chemicals or synthetic ingredients in its composition, makes it hypoallergenic, with minimal possibility of an allergic response. Its non-comodegenic or non pore-clogging properties mean that it does not even penetrate the skin.
- Mineral make-up has anti-inflammatory properties to help soothe skin irritations. It is so gentle that it can safely be used on the most sensitive skin, even directly after dermatological treatments, including laser resurfacing, mircrodermabrasion, and chemical peels. With ingredients like titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, you get physical protection against the sun with an SPF going up to 20.
- The one thing you are sure to love about mineral make-up is that it stays on all day and is impervious to extreme temperatures and sweating. Mineral make-up is made with pure pigments. These dry, highly concentrated pigments have good adherence to the skin. Most traditional make-up is affected by the heat and sweat because their ingredients, such as oils, binders and waxes, liquefy at higher temperatures. Similarly, other ingredients in traditional make-up are water-soluble, so sweat, rain and tears will wash them away, mineral make-up on the contrary, has better heat and sweat resistance without such ingredients. There is no touching required, just apply and forget.
- Available in the form of 'do-it-yourself' powders, they let you give free reign to your creative spirit, allowing you to blend and create any number of unique hues. One pot of loose pigment alne can be used for several purposes, such as eye shadow, lipstick, nail polish, or blush, with the right brushes and a few extra items. However, in the interests of safety, it is best to read the guidelines before use.
- You can actually sleep with your mineral make-up on. Mineral make-up does not cake or penetrate the skin. It allows it to breath. It cannot harbour bacteria, it doesn't go bad. Thus there isn't a need for preservatives which can cause sensitization. It is because of these reasons that mineral make-up can be worn even when you sleep, without harming - and sometimes even improving the skin.
Mineral Makeup Ingredients